Monday, November 12, 2007

Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)

I would rather change the title to "A week with Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)". Downloaded a copy recently and must say it was primarily meant to replace my Opensuse 10.2. After installation I'm strongly thinking about formatting my Windows partition to make some space for linux & have a single operating system. Usually linux installation was a nightmare to novice like me, but things have changed and Ubuntu 7.10 was easiest among the lot. Following are the list of things that I liked the most.

1. Easy Installation
2. Add and remove programs application
3. Easy configuration of network
4. Easy to install proprietary codecs
5. Pidgin internet messenger
6. Compiz fusion (Neither vista nor leopard can match it)
7. Most important of all, its free

The list goes on and on. Till now, I do not have any excuse to at least log into windows for a while either to burn a DVD or watch a divx movie that I used to do with Opensuse frequently

What really prompted me to post this article was the ubuntu ideology - "A person with ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Such a nice philosophy, yet so difficult to follow.

No comments: