Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Bangalore in W War 1

Few hours back I was playing an FPS, MOHAA ( Ok ok I know its a very old game, I need to update myself). But an interesting war game. In one particular level called OMAHA BEACH My captain commands me to bring a BANGALORE. Yes a Bangalore. I thought I over heard it. But I replayed the particular scene and my captain had clearly asked for a Bangalore. Later in the game a Bangalore was a torpedo used to clear barbed wire in the beach.

Hmmmm, I was surprised to know that a torpedo was called Bangalore. Later I researched for Bangalore torpedo and the details are here. The Bangalore was first devised by Captain McClintock, of the British Army Bengal, Bombay and Madras Sappers and Miners at Bangalore. Intresting trivia and good to know that Bangalore was internationally known since world war 1 period. Now for its software companies.

Bangalore since British raj has an interesting history around it including an equally interesting evolution of its existing name. But from Nov 1, 2006 onwards Bangalore will be renamed Bengaluru. I prefer Bangalore as it sounds very much Sci Fi and am used to it. I strongly feel , changing the name does not solve the existing problems the city has. I feel Govt has to think about more constructive ideas which addresses our criticle issues such as infrastructure.

Well ppl what do u like. Bangalore or Bengaluru.

2 comments:

Praveen said...

OOps.. now thatz a sensitive nerve. I had a huge argument on that front with others, but to no avail! Bangalore, or Bengaluru, doesn't seem to be the concern of the day eventually! (Not to mention that non-kannadigas will anyhow mess up the aliter too, and kannadigas anyhow know how to say it!) But a few begged to differ in the oft quoted names of language identity, and stuffs! I feel there are better and more constructive ways of dealing with the language crisis.
One can only hope that we do not continue to miss the big picture concentrating only on the side shots!
BTW. absolutely interesting info about that torpedo! Weird how we run into these things at the least expected of places! Keep 'em comin' dude! Time Travelling is fun with you too!!

Anonymous said...

I would prefer Bengaluru but the stationary cost incurred on changing the same is i guess huge...am happy on 1 side but feel that sad too....